Dr. Zhou received PhD in Computational Biology under the supervision of Prof.Limsoon Wong in School of Computing and NUS Graduate School for Integative Sciences and Engineering, National University of Singapore. Currently, Dr. Zhou is working with Prof. Elliott D. Kieff as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School. Dr. Zhou is considered the world's best scientist in computational studies of host-pathogen interaction studies who specialized in network data-mining of Next-Generation Sequencing data and inter-species host-pathogen protein-protein interaction networks. Now in Harvard Medical School, Dr. Zhou mainly uses next-generation sequencing technologies to investigate the molecular mechanisms of viral oncology, one of the core problems of computational studies of host-pathogen interactions. His research projects are mainly about (i)Next-generation sequencing technologies, ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, 5C, HiC, ChIA-PET, and their applications in cancers caused by virus. (ii) Protein-Protein Interaction (PPI) network related studies both intra- and inter- species PPI prediction, analysis and assessment; (ii) Pathway data curation, integration and analysis; (iii) Meta-genomic data analysis; (iv) Design and develop website and database that host research data and facilitate convenient access.
- 2009 - 2013, PhD Computer Science, National University of Singapore
Publications and Honors
(* means equal contribution)
- Hufeng Zhou, Stefanie CS Schmidt, Sizun Jiang, Bradford Willox, Eric C Johannsen, Benjamin E Gewurz, Elliott Kieff, Bo Zhao. "Epstein-Barr Virus super enhancers control MYC and BCL2 for Lymphoblastoid cell growth and survival." Cell Host & Microbe. Available online Jan 29th. 2015.
- Stefanie CS Schmidt, Sizun Jiang, Hufeng Zhou, Bradford Willox, Amy M. Holthaus, Peter V. Kharchenko, Eric C. Johannsen, Elliott Kieff, and Bo Zhao. "Epstein–Barr virus nuclear antigen 3A partially coincides with EBNA3C genome-wide and is tethered to DNA through BATF complexes." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112, no. 2 (2015): 554-559.
- Bo Zhao, Luis A. Barrera, Ina Ersing, Bradford Willox, Stefanie CS Schmidt, Hannah Greenfeld, Hufeng Zhou et al. "The NF-κB Genomic Landscape in Lymphoblastoid B Cells." Cell reports 8, no. 5 (2014): 1595-1606.
- Hufeng Zhou, Shangzhi Gao, Nam Ninh Nguyen, Mengyuan Fan, Jingjing Jin, Bing Liu, Liang Zhao et al. "Stringent homology-based prediction of H.sapiens-M. tuberculosis H37Rv protein-protein interactions." Biology Direct 9, no. 1 (2014): 5.
- Daniel Portal*, Hufeng Zhou*, Bo Zhao, Peter V. Kharchenko, Elizabeth Lowry, Limsoon Wong, John Quackenbush et al. "Epstein–Barr virus nuclear antigen leaderprotein localizes to promoters and enhancers with cell transcriptionfactors and EBNA2." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110, no. 46 (2013): 18537-18542.
- Mengyuan Fan, Hong Sang Low, Hufeng Zhou, Markus R. Wenk, Limsoon Wong. "LipidGO: database forlipid-related GO terms and applications." Bioinformatics (2014) 30 (7): 1043-1044.
- Hufeng Zhou, Javad Rezaei, Willy Hugo, Shangzhi Gao, Jingjing Jin, Mengyuan Fan, Chern-Han Yong, Michal Wozniak, Limsoon Wong. "Stringent DDI-based Prediction of H. sapiens-M. tuberculosis H37Rv Protein-Protein Interactions." BMC Systems Biology 7, no. 6 (2013): 1-15.
- Geng Xiong, Bo Zhang, Mu-yun Huang, Hufeng Zhou, Li-zhen Chen, Qi-sheng Feng, Xi Luo, Hui-jia Lin, and Yi-xin Zeng. "Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) Infection in Chinese Children: A Retrospective Study of Age-Specific Prevalence." PloS one 9, no. 6 (2014): e99857.
- Sizun Jiang, Bradford Willox, Hufeng Zhou,Amy M. Holthaus, Anqi Wang, Tommy T. Shi, Seiji Maruo et al."Epstein–Barr Virus Nuclear Antigen 3C binds to BATF/IRF4 orSPI1/IRF4 composite sites and recruits Sin3A to repress CDKN2A." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 111, no. 1 (2014): 421-426.
- Hufeng Zhou, Jingjing Jin, Haojun Zhang, Bo Yi, Limsoon Wong. "IntPath:Integrated pathway gene relationship database for model organisms andimportant pathogens." BMC systems biology 6, no. Suppl 2 (2012): S2
- Hufeng Zhou, Jingjing Jin, Limsoon Wong. "Progress in Computational Studies ofHost-Pathogen Interactions", Journalof Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, 11, no. 02 (2013)
- Hufeng Zhou, Limsoon Wong. "Comparative Analysis and Assessment of M.tuberculosis H37Rv Protein-Protein Interaction Datasets", BMC Genomics 12, no. Suppl 3 (2011): S20
- Qiyun Xie, Hui Jin, Yun Wan, Rui Luo, Jie Chu, Hufeng Zhou, Huanchun Chen, Rui Zhou. "Transcriptional responses of Haemophilus parasuis to iron-restriction stress in vitro", Biometals, 22, no.6 (2009): 907-916.
- Hannah Greenfeld, Kaoru Takasaki, Ina Ersing, Hufeng Zhou, Katharina Bernhardt, Camille Ashbaugh, Yijie Ma, Bishi Fu, Sarah Mollo, , Li Shitao, Benjamin Gewurz. TRAF1 coordinates attachment of linear ubiquitin chains to Epstein-Barr virus LMP1 signalosomes to enhance canonical NF-kB and MAP kinase pathway activation. PLOS Pathogens. In Second Round Review.Feb 2nd 2015.
- Hufeng Zhou. Decipher the Host-Pathogen Interactions: A Computational Case Study. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, ISBN-10: 3659583057, ISBN-13: 978-3659583056, Oct. 2014. (52 pages)
- Hufeng Zhou. Computational Studies of Host-Pathogen Protein-Protein Interactions - A Case Study of the H.Sapiens-M. Tuberclulosis H37RV System. PhD Thesis (2013).
Full Text | PDF
Awards and Honors
- 2015 - 2018, Career Development Grant (Fellow), Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- 2009 - 2013, NGS Scholarship, National University of Singapore
Editorial Board Member:
- Clinical Research in Infectious Diseases
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
- Austin Journal of Proteomics, Bioinformatics & Genomics
- International Journal of Genetics and Genomics
- Science Innovation
- The Internet Journal of Medical Informatics
- Evolutionary Bioinformatics
Conference Program Committee:
- BigData in Bioinformatics and HealthCare Infromatics in Conjunction with IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE BigData 2014), Washington DC, USA, 2014
- International Conference on Cyber-enabled distributed computing and knowledge discovery (CyberC 2014), Shanghai, China, 2014
- High Performance Computing on Bioinformatics (HPCB 2014) Belfast, UK, 2015
- IEEE International Broadband and Photonics Conference (IBP 2015) Bali, Indonesia, 2015
Reviewer of Journals:
- PLoS One
- BMC Genomics
- BMC Bioinformatics
- IEEE Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
- Journal of Theoretical Biology
- Infection, Genetics and Evolution
- Mini-Reviews in Medical Chemistry
- Journal of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
- The American Journal of Chinese Medicine
- Protein & Peptide Letters
- BioMed Research International
- Acta Biotheoretica
- Journal of Biomedical Graphics and Computing
- Journal of Microbiology and Infections
Reviewer of Conference Proceedings:
- International Conference on Genome Informatics (GIW 2012)
- BigData in Bioinformatics and HealthCare Infromatics (BBH 2014)
- High Performance Computing on Bioinformatics (HPCB 2014)
- IEEE International Broadband and Photonics Conference (IBP 2015)
Developed by Hufeng Zhou. All Rights Reserved.
Last modified on Feb 9th, 2015.